The ugly duckling who can't swim


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Did I say duckling?

I feel like a duckling, but I just grew up to be a duck! A busy and productive day today, with the prospect of an Aquathon (swim/run/swim/run) to look forward to in the heat of summer. I decided to cycle down to the lake, and enjoyed the 10k roll down the hill. Although confident at being able to complete the swims, I was feeling a little underwhelmed. A little good natured chatting at the start of the swim meant that I knew that I would be third in my age group ~ there were 3 starters, including one 'legend'. I still harboured hopes to be able to 'run down' second place, although this was not to be.

Diving confidentally into the water, I found my goggles immediately filled with tepid lake water and a pesky strip of weed which persisted the length of the swim. This was a very disjointed affair, unable to see beyond my onboard vegetation. I was last out of the water (expected) and spent a rather convoluted time to find my way through transistion to my shoes.

It was wonderful to be out on the run though, and it started to dawn on my how far behind everyone else I was, even though I was in the last (very small) wave to start. On the run, the legs were good, but the GI system made it's pressence felt once again, worsening on declines and with intensity. At the end of the first run (3k in about 15:00) I was delighted to be runninng, and didn't wast much time in this transition. To my surprise, my goggles worked a treat this time, and allowed a clear view of the lake and the buoys. I enjoyed the swim, even passing someone in the water (!), although later analysis of my heart rate indicates that I take the swim rather too casually. On the run I kept the pace up and finished strongly, feeling really good although wishing it were longer. The splits for both the second swim and run indicated a statistically significant negative split (14:30ish for the 2nd 3k) so I was happy enough.

I cruisey ride home completed the evening's activity before a bath to scrub off the race numbers and thence to bed.

Life's good.


0 Responses to “The ugly duckling who can't swim”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km