Aki swaps pizza for the stakes


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



A good night. Only a low to moderate night sweat, no headache and up fairly early. These grey days are so uninspiring though, I can well understand the effect of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) - winter depression - among many in long northern winters. Or why they turn to drink.

Not a problem here today.

Picked up Aki to drag her along to the southern side of town, and run her first BBQ Stakes handicap from Woden. It was quick trip, and we popped into the Runners Shop and redeemed a voucher for a new pair of Thorlo's. Hopefully this will ameliorate the further development of blisters were still early at the Stakes, which still had quite a reasonable turnout. The conditions were dry, although it was unpleasantly cold. Aki ran extremely well on a course that is usually troublesome for first time runners.

Once again I was quite cold at the start and failed to warm up. Two other blokes started off my handicap of 11:15, and whipped away early. I heard them talk about not running off their correct time. My first km was frightfully slow - 5:35 with only a 20m ascent. Another runner past me. The next km was a further incline, steeper for the next 600m. I was able to reel in some of the others who went off an earlier handicap than me at this point. Still very slow at 5:15.

The 3rd km undulates on a fire trail, under Hindmarsh Drive, and then back on the trail skirting Oakey Hill. On the descent under the roadway I caught up with one of of the blokes who started with me, and felt strong. While some of the faster runners were bearing up on me now, I found the rises on this part of the trail much easier than I had for a long time. This continued for the remainder of the run, jockeying for position with faster runners coming from behind and attempting to reel in those in front. Aki plodded up behind me at the 5km mark, and finished only a few seconds behind me.

My last kilometre splits were much better, varying with the terrain, although all around the 4:40 mark. I finished in a satisfying 29:00, which delighted me. Heart Rate at a pretty moderate average of 158.

Afterwards I introduced Aki to Mt Taylor, although I for one found the cold too hard to take for long. My base level of clothes were damp, and despite a long sleeve top and jacket I was chilled. We each took water bottles with us, and drank the lot at the top. The view was magic, all of North Canberra on one side, and the Tuggeranong Valley on the other. We didn't stay there for long, and made out way down the same track to get back to warm up. It took longer than expected, and topped off a successful day, even if not long.

Tomorrow I plan to do an early session on the Mountain Bike over the off-road duathlon course. Hopefully the rain holds off and it's not too miserable and cold. Best of all, the ankle is painless. Swelling on the side hasn't subsided at all despite a compression bandage but it doesn't seem like it is showing any ill effects.


3 Responses to “Aki swaps pizza for the stakes”

  1. Blogger Jen 

    I'm looking forward to joining you and Aki on these runs - they are fantastic! Glad to hear that you are running again. J

  2. Blogger CJ 

    Me too - you always make it sound so interesting. I didn't run Barbecue Stakes yesterday because I ran before work and weather-wise I have to say I was glad I did!!! Had coffee with a friend at lunchtime instead!!!

  3. Blogger miners 

    Hey - that sounds liek a great run you had Ms. Duck. Must have felt great catching up to your male handicapped friend. Hope the ankle keeps getting better

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km