Friday - Weekend Wanderings


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



During the week, my friend and perfect running buddy rang to see if I was still aiming to do the
Mt Wilson to Bilpin Bush-run. With little on this week in Canberra, he asked if he could come up and do the event as well. My throat had been scratchy on Tuesday, I developed a cold on Wednesday afternoon, and by Thursday I was felled with a heavy cold. It was, however, 'just a cold'. No aching joints, a very congested nose and throat, but it stayed off my chest.

It was a miserable day though, and Bob was convinced that running for me was out in the near future. I didn't share in the same pessimism. Bob found some cold tablets and I had a surprisingly good nights sleep. On waking Friday morning I felt well enough to travel, and rang Peter to confirm that we could leave that day to head to the Blue Mountains. I figured that having paid for accommodation and race entry there wasn't much to lose. At least I could go along to catch up with some people and cheer them along. I rang Peter early and he was delighted.

Bob cycled to the Customs lunchtime run, and as a 'test' I belatedly decided to go too and trot around slowly to see how the schnoz would cope with the run. I looked forward to chatting Jodie's ear off, however she held the watch before heading off to Hawaii. I accompanied Rick and enjoyed our journey around the course.

Time for a quick bath, before Peter arrived and we left to drive north, arriving in Springwood just as dark fell. Checking in to the pub rooms at the Royal Hotel ($55 single), we walked the length of Springwood's village street looking for some pasta for Peter to eat. Lots of Pizza, Fish and Chips, Burgers, Thai and a good looking cafe serving dinner of Lamb Shanks and other meaty warming mountain winter fare. A simple cafe was open for Friday night Italian, with a menu replete with pasta (along with scallopine et al), but the ambiance was fluorescent and laminex, and the prices were no lower than that that of the dining room in the pub. We returned there, where I had an espresso and a Forest Fruits Fortijuice. (mmm, FortiJuice).

We parted and went to our rooms fairly early, where I was able to perform my usual pre-race routine in laying out clothes, socks and shoes for the morning, ensuring that batteries are OK, memory cleared from the watch, bag packed with warm clothes and dry socks for afterwards, etc. I kept up the fluids, sculled up a couple more FortiJuice (my version of carbo loading) and hit the sack early.


2 Responses to “Friday - Weekend Wanderings”

  1. Blogger CJ 

    You're doing it again Flash Duck - leaving us in suspense! It was good to see you today - hope you had a good run. You will be pleased to know that today was a rest day for me and that I don't run again until Monday evening - PH session.

  2. Blogger Friar 

    Flash Duck ran 3:15.14, while Running Buddy did 3:27.33.

    Alice Scott, ACT, 1st over 60 Female ran 4:28.30, and Mario Larocca ran 3:36.29.

    The first female and 4th Overall was Emma Murray ACT in 2:30.12.
    This is a race record.
    What a talent and a nice person.

    I was told there is a long 5km uphill near the finish. :-((

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km