Life's pretty damn good


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Doh! I can be such a Goose!

After taking my missed morning medication last night, I began to feel better almost immediately. Only a moderate night sweat (nothing unusual with that, Narelle), and a clear head on waking!! Whoopee!

I had a small glass of Nutridrink this morning. A very dear friend and triathlete rang from Cairns and we caught up before I left for Customs. So far, so good. Arrived in good time to see another good crowd enjoying the excellent conditions. The park and lake was a scene of frenetic activity in preparation for the VP commemorations. Lights, music, helicopters, big screens and all the fun of the fair. Busloads of school children around too ~ many of whom managed to walk, eat and queue on our running route. Allrounder was in fine form and hungry for another good run . . . she was lamenting the absence of Aki today, however we were all in high spirits.

I scampered off my new handicap of 12:45 (and Aki's new handicap!), only to find a Parks Truck driving alongside me, at my pace, on the narrow track (not roadway). This was really off putting, without space to move without moving straight into the truck. At the turnoff things improved, and eventually I saw allrounder in front. I attempted to judge how far she was in front on poles we passed, and estimated about 32 seconds between about 1.5-2.2km marks. At the willow tree turnaround she seemed to be tiring a little, and at 3km the difference seemed to be roughly 20-something seconds. Eventually I caught up, throwing out all thoughts of jogging lightly and surging every kilometre.

I felt good until the finish, although deflated a bit once more when SpeedyGeoff and Peter C whizzed past. I wish that there were a few more bods in front (runners, not school kids, trucks and portable generators) over the last kilometre to chase, and looking at my watch I thought that my course PB of 22:09 was under threat. It was, and I finished in 22:02 (darn those 2 or 3 seconds), spent at the end, although I quickly recovered and found that allrounder and Friar had each had another blinder. Despite the final effort, I recovered very quickly (5km to me now is a 'sprint'), and my heart rate was not over the top. HR average 152, Max. 159.

Warm down around Central Basin with Speedy Geoff, and then off to finally prick my finger out and get the Blood Glucose Monitor we have been meaning to get for months. Analysis of the mornings Nutridrink was that it was not much better than the Osmolite. Will stick to FortiJuice for the time being! My first test, non-fasting, felt fine and dandy, no lightheadedness etc gave a reading of 2.8mmmol/L. If not strictly hypoglycemic, then certainly low. Interesting. It has a memory (well 480 of them), so if I can get my act together to prick my finger during a mega night sweat it will be interesting.

I'm feeling pretty 'up' for the C2S. The break didn't do me any harm (except that I feel like an idiot - I should know better), and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) catching up with some Cool Runners.

Life's Good


3 Responses to “Life's pretty damn good”

  1. Blogger Aki 

    Heh heh, good recovery, I'm glad there was an explanation for your down time.

    Next Friday may be interesting, although you are in finer form than me I think I like the idea of a getting a real idea of just how great you are. :) (Of course so I can later aim to challenge you :p )

    Those 2 or 3 seconds are going to drop in no time! :)

  2. Blogger Bennyr 

    Good stuff FD.

    With the amount of effort you have to put in to managing your health it's always good to read about it when it's good.

  3. Blogger Aki 

    Good luck on the W2B, I hope all is well. :)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km