After Mt Majura

E-mail this post

Remember me (?)

All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of More...

I drove home, slowly, through Gunghalin and prepared to pull over in case the nausea decided to need freedom. On returning home, I took my Blood Glucose and found it to be low, although not significantly so. Had some yoghurt and broth when I felt able to eat, and felt much better. I would have loved to have crawled into bed then and there, but I had volunteered to marshal at the Triathlon ACT’s first race of the season, the all-too-short Spring Fling. I didn’t feel too bad, and Bob decided to cycle down to the race venue at the Yacht Club, giving me a good reason not to ride as I had intended; he needed to have his wetsuit and race gear carried in the car.

Despite arriving well before 2:15pm as required, there was the usual waiting around. Eventually allocated our positions, I walked quickly the 25 minutes to the corner of Commonwealth Ave and Parkes Way in my high visibility vest with red flag in hand, concerned that the first wave of cyclists might come through before I got there. With only a 400m swim, this was quite possible.

Of course, I needn’t have worried. The race started late, and the front markers whizzed through miles ahead of the others, seasoned locals (such as Gareth Halverson) who knew the course backwards and had exemplary road skills. I called out support where I could, especially to the ever smiling Pete who was backing up from a fine finish in the 26km Mountain Run that morning. Ten minutes or so after the last rider came through, the sweep van advised that I could go, and I wandered back the slightly longer and more peaceful route via the lakeside and Lennox Gardens.

Bob and I got away fairly quickly, although it was still late for us to shower and ready ourselves for the next social activity of the day, a housewarming for a friend in one of the new north western suburbs of Dunlop. A 6:00pm start to avoid too late a night for the all-runners in attendance was good, although I just wanted to go to bed. Bob promised that I wouldn’t have to stay too long ~ having missed out on social activities after 5:00pm for nearly a decade when I was too sick, getting along to social engagements had a special significance these days. It was a very pleasant evening, but unfortunately not an early night. I was very hungry by the stage that food came out (8:00pm), and opted to eat the ‘most acceptable’ for my gut option of boiled white rice, an allegedly Thai chicken curry, and a good mix of salad leaves. Mmmm. Food, Good.

A barking cough developed and I started to feel very ordinary. We got home at 11:00pm and I fell asleep immediately, not waking until 12 hours later. So much for my plans to go to the Jogalong!

0 Responses to “After Mt Majura”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link


About me

Previous posts

Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk

  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km