On the eve of a hallowed day


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I had been disappointed to see that the Bonshaw Cup had been moved from it's original (for me!) running at Lunchtime on Melbourne Cup Day, which served a few simultaneous purposes. One was able to extricate oneself from the office without being too much of a party-pooper, in the name of a 'Run for Charity'. This had the great added benefit of doing something you really liked to do (run!), while everyone else in the office is doing the round of bad food, silly hats and countless sweepstakes and one-day-a-year experts. For those who like it, great, but it just ain't my scene.

With some despair I found out that this years event (not being well enough for many years) is on the Wednesday, the week following the race. Friar pointed out that the move may be because of the race now being run later in the afternoon ~ good point, but now I'll have to look at what else to do to avoid the call and the the wall-to-wall media coverage throughout the day. Even the Mt Ainslie run-up which takes (the winner - NOT me) 10-12 minutes to complete has been deferred for a week. Truly the race that stops the nation.

Bob has gone, somewhat reluctantly, to swim squad tonight. I am feeling much better, although I did have another long afternoon nap. The throat / glands aren't great, but the ear is manageable with pain killers, and although gunked up this morning, the eyes are OK (but then I haven't tried to read / drive / see anything much). I'm pretty confident that I'll be right for the Cross Country Club's summer series of 5k runs which kick off tomorrow night. It was good to read that allrounder is now planning to go, as well as Aki.


3 Responses to “On the eve of a hallowed day”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Glad you are feeling a little better Flash! A little rest and patience always works

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Good that you've been having a rest.

    Hope that the cold has cleared, and you can make a return feeling rested and recovered.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I didn't take part in the Melbourne Cup celebrations this year - had a quiet lunch with a couple of friends and then went back to work. Hope you are feeling better.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km