The value of walking and incidental exericse.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I noted a few weeks ago that I was at my (recent) fittest after an operation in October/November last year when I was not permitted to "run, cycle or do any strenuous activity" until I got the OK from my surgeon about 7 weeks post-op.

This was devastating at the time.

Instead of losing fitness, I made a concerted effort to walk. Everywhere I could.

I saw the surgeon and got the go ahead to run ("But don't do a half marathon for a while") . It was the Wednesday afternoon before the Sri Chimnoy Triple Tri on Sunday. I was delighted to be included in "Rad's Ravers", a group organised by 77 year old dynamo Rad Leovic to run, cycle and swim in each of Canberra three lakes, and across the mountains and forests. I had hoped to do the initial 20km run over Mt Majura and Mt Ainslie to hand over to 15 year old Milli for a 3.8km swim across Canberra's Central Basin. I mentioned this to the good doctor, who just shook his head and didn't forbid it.

On the day I felt wonderful! I came in around half an hour ahead of my estimated time, and Milli had to quickly fix her wetsuit, cap and goggles to start. Unfortunately, the team instigator, captain and inspiration was injured in the week before the event, and had to pull out at the last minute. I put my hand up to do his leg, the third and last over Red Hill, and on this rather easier course managed an excellent run with fresh legs. In fact, I was fitter at this time than I had been for years.

Talking to a friend who is just resuming running after a 5 year hiatus, I recalled this as advice for her, and it reminded me of the value of this. I am having some difficulties with cycling saddles at the moment, and would normally cycle to the BBQ Stakes, Customs and so on. Instead, I am trying to work out the feasibility and logistics of (brisk) walking to Customs today, racing the 5k, and then jogging home. I have the time, the only difficulty is in deciding what to wear and carry, and how long to allow to get there without spending too long standing around getting cold. Ideally, I would have lighter shoes for the race and fewer clothes! A bit of cash, mobile, water, fortijuice . . . I would prefer not to wear a backpack, but it seems inevitable that I make a decision between gear and weight and convenience.


1 Responses to “The value of walking and incidental exericse.”

  1. Blogger Unknown 

    Let's know how the 5km goes if you do it, Flashduck; personally, I think walking has a lot of value, as you've found out, & I always include some during long runs.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km