Duathlon Race Report


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I had been fairly non-plussed about this event on Sunday, knowing that I had done virtually no cycling recently, whilst I had been focused on the marathon 2 weeks earlier.

Now, up on the course with lots of familiar faces and a fantastic course I was quite enthusiastic and disappointed that I wouldn't be competitive. Nevertheless, I rode down with Bob on Sunday morning to a transition area buzzing with excitement.

Registration and race number in hand, I racked my bike and prepared for the pre-race briefing which detailed the altered run leg. With all age group men starting together, and a separate wave for AG women only two minutes later, I expected it to be tight on the scenic, multi lap course, however it worked extremely well, meaning that there was adequate room, as well as a good number of people to both chase, and push one along from behind.

My first 10km run leg was recorded as 45:29, a good balance between speed and preservation of energy for the 40km cycle and 5km run to follow. It was quite a warm morning, and many people went out far too fast, which I resisted meaning that I passed others, rather than was passed on this leg. Unfortunately the drink stations, whilst plentiful, did run dry of water when I wanted it which was disappointing.

Onto the bike, and four laps of a hilly course from Nobby's to Barr Beach via the coast. This was very beautiful, and worked well, the ascents and descents splitting up any potential groups that may have formed. I was passed quite early on this course by quite a number of people, although I was largely unable to tell their age group so was usually only aware of men (maybe) and women (probably). I didn't care if blokes passed at all, and tried to remain relatively within my comfort zone. I was slow, but retained very even splits with 24 minutes for each of the laps, and felt good, if thirsty, having finished off my two bidons by the end of lap 3.

A good transition onto the run leg, had me searching for the drink stops, however I was out of luck when a woman in front of me was handed the last cup. I swore ~ at the situation, not the race volunteers ~ and continued on my way, a bit grumpier and slower as the result. Further along I was able to grab a cup, and a few of these may have made me slow down to drink, however I perked up as a result and ran somewhat better. The final run to the finish chute was short by about 300-400 metres, and I managed to pull off 21:34 at the end, to finish with a total time of 2:46 in 10th position for my age group.

A few hundred cups of water later, I reviewed my event and caught up with the extensive Canberra contingent.

A satisfying day, although I must work on my cycling.


2 Responses to “Duathlon Race Report”

  1. Blogger Superflake 

    Carolyne,
    Well done at the duathlon.Pity about the water. Good back up after doing Canberra Marathon. Might see you at SMH Half as we appear to cross events at that point.

  2. Blogger Aki 

    Great job, sounds nasty, especially without water! How did Bob go?

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km