The final run


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



To finish the epic of the WDC race, I rather enjoyed the 2nd run, whether only through comparison with how I felt on the cycle or not, I'm not sure! I crossed the line in about 3 hours 10 minutes, a full 25 minutes slower than in April! I felt fine at the end, would have loved a bit more of a run, and when I stopped to take off my chip, the sweat started pouring off. Even if this sounds a bit gross, it was a great relief after my failure to sweat and gooseflesh during the later 2/3rds of the event.
I walked past the medical tent en route to the recovery area for a drink, where there were no fewer than 35 competitors on drips ~ almost 5%! I tossed down lots of water, and was surprised to see so many people still milling around. I found out from a guy from Adelaide ("Wellsy") how Bob went; the Aussie's missed out on the top 3 positions in the M55 age group, but were tight for 4th, 5th and 6th, Bob hanging on to 5th place.
One thing I am sure about - I would have preferred to have run a marathon (make it 55) any day in preference!
I didn't want to shock my system with unaccustomed solids, even fruit, so grabbed my backpack from the compound and took it back to Team Australia Central Marquee to crack a FortiJuice. Then something slightly unnerving happened, chatting amicably with Jude one minute, after I had ingested some FortiJuice I became extremely dizzy, hot, vision blacked out, and so on. I stumbled into the marquee and sat down, then found a space on the grass to lie on. After the marathon an exaggerated version of this happened when I was sitting on a concrete block and swallowed my first bite of a Pria bar. On that occasion I dropped the bar and phone in my hands on the ground, blacked out and (according to Bob) was drained of colour.
After a bit of time, the Team Doctor checked to see if I wanted to lie on a massage table instead of the ground (I liked the ground) and he checked my blood pressure. (lowish). I recovered OK, but it seems as though after extended exertion I have some paradoxical hypotension induced by food. It's a shame - it would seem to make sense to have some calories after three hours of exercise . . . .


1 Responses to “The final run”

  1. Blogger strewth 

    Well done Flash Duck on an amazing achievement in a very tough event in difficult circumstances. Your courage is inspirational. Congratulations! Do hope you are now planning some rest and recovery. Look forward to meeting you for coffee soon.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km