Canberra Half Marathon Spectating


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I hadn't considered not participating in this event; the decision was whether to race it, or run with Aki in preparation for the SMH Half in a week's time.

The Great Housework Fiasco of 2005 put an end to this, and I wandered down to the finish line to assist instead of running. Although I probably spent too much time on my feet, I was able to be a 'spotter' on the sidelines, calling out the names of those finishing before their numbers were visible for checking. It still surprises me how decimated my cognitive abilities were for much of the previous decade. I couldn't recognise work colleagues I saw hour to hour, let alone running acquaintances. Now, I can count to ten and chew gum at the same time.

I alternated spotting finishers with photographing people as they crossed the line. Most significantly, I was there when Aki stormed home in 1:56:23, comfortably ahead of her sub-2 hour target. It took a while to catch up with her afterwards, but she was justifiably proud, and boasting how she was overtaking others over the final few k's.

[To be continued . . . . ]


0 Responses to “Canberra Half Marathon Spectating”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km