Saturday Evening Wash-up


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Aim: To Run
Method: Attend Mountain Running Champs at Mt Majura
Result: Achieved

I continued to feel good this morning, and gathered my gear together. I decided to park on the Hackett side of the mountain, to use the walk to suss out my fitness to jog, and after a bit of farnarkling about, walked to the Guide Camp with a backpack and rugged up to the elements. In the sun it was fine, although the shade made it quite chilly. There were loads of people out walking, jogging with dogs, and especially mountain biking. John Harding had excelled himself with signposting the course, with explanatory notices for casual visitors in the area about the events that afternoon.
Registration was a simple affair, although standing around in the shade was not conducive to warming up. I reluctantly removed my tights and fleece before the start, and was pleased that I knew the course so that I could opt to do one lap, or where to shortcut it back to the start if I found the going too hard after a week off.
I started conservatively, last in the pack of too-fit-looking women. I churned along up the hill, not so concerned about walking this time, although with separate starts for the Men, Over 60's and Women, the field strung out early and the gaps just widened. This continued for most of the two laps; the breakaways groups I saw earlier on the first lap descent had stretched out enormously.
The great advantage of the rain over the week meant that the deep, soft surface had firmed considerably making the run much easier. This was just as well as I only treated it as a training run, and kept my heart rate at an average of 72% of normal, maxing out at 80%. The previous run was a fair bit higher!
At the end, I probably recorded a time a minute or two slower, better than anticipated, however this is no doubt due to the improved surface. I did come absolutely, stone cold last, but was pleased to have survived. I didn't hang around the finish this time, heading back to the centre for a hot coffee and to put on dry clothes and socks. I was sorry to have missed seeing the guys racing, especially as there was great support around the course, but I was turning blue and knew I needed to warm up.
Bob
Bob rang this evening from Tuan Giao, after a monstrous climb over the mountains from Son La. To reduce weight on the 90km cycle leg, he miscalculated the amount of water to carry, but regarded it as the most beautiful "stunning"country that he had seen yet. In Tuan Giao there were very few Vietnamese, ethnically populated by 50 Hill Tribes with a distinct language, dress and culture.

Tomorrow I think he plans to head to Dien Bien Pho about 80kms away.

Right now, I need to peel myself away from the one day cricket between Australia and Bangladesh. Having watched both the Test and one day-er in Cairns a few years back, it doesn't surprise me that they are doing relatively well. (3-93 after 25 overs). Will turn up at the Terry Fox tomorrow, although I suspect it will be an all time PW.

But, at least I RUN. Warm room again tonight. Things are looking up.


1 Responses to “Saturday Evening Wash-up”

  1. Blogger Aki 

    Interesting form of writing up, lol. Good to see your health improving! I have a seat to Sydney BTW. :)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




About me

Previous posts




Fellow Bloggers

  • Aki Runs!
  • allrounder
  • Lucky Legs
  • Team Moore
  • CJ
  • Run Ben!
  • Strewth!
  • 2P's worth
  • The Gronk




  • Distance Swum
    February 17,400m
    October 3,800m
    November 4,150m
    December .
    Distance Cycled
    November 120km
    December 297 km